Mustangs rally past Eagles

by Logan Gilman

Due to a weather cancellation, the PCM Mustang girls’ basketball team hosted the Saydel Eagles on a rare Thursday night matchup on Feb. 5. The Mustangs beat Saydel early in the year in an overtime thriller by three points. The Mustangs didn’t need an overtime to finish off the Eagles this time, winning in regulation with a final score of 45-36.
The first quarter was a defensive heavyweight bout, with the score knotted at seven after one. Saydel pulled out in front of the home team in the second frame, taking a 21-16 lead into the break. PCM came out playing passionate basketball in the third, making a one-point game with the Eagles still in control 27-26. With eight minutes to go, the Mustangs got hot, scoring a total of 19 points in the final quarter to take control of the game and pull off the victory.
Junior Kayla Jennings said, We came out with more intensity in the second half. Our press forced turnovers, which ended up in easy points. We emphasized on those mistakes and pulled away.”
Jennings was the star of the night, as she finished with 20 points, five rebounds and five steals. Junior Alexis Timmins gave solid minutes coming off the bench and scoring eight points of her own. Another junior, Katie Vande Wall, scored seven points in the game to help the Mustangs’ cause.
Jennings also added, “We need to come out and play start to finish. Confidence, intensity, and communication will help us become the team we want to be.”