Girls win big at home against Raiders

by Logan Gilman

Coming off a bye week in conference play, the PCM Mustangs hosted the visiting CMB Raiders in Heart of Iowa Conference play on Jan. 27. The Mustangs started the game slow but picked things up in the second quarter to take a 25-15 lead into the break. PCM came out in the third and pushed their lead to 14 points thanks to a strong defensive showing, only giving up three points. The girls cruised to the finish, securing a 42-27 win and improving their record to 10-7 on the year and 9-3 in conference play.
Junior Katie Vande Wall said, “I think that we worked together defensively to try to get them to have as little shots as possible. We have worked hard in practice and we want the last part of our season to be the best that it can be.”
Junior Kayla Jennings was the leading scorer on the night with 16 points. Junior Katie Vande Wall chipped in 12 points as well. Vande Wall also had a monstrous night on the boards, corralling a season-high 15. Junior Jayci Vos did a nice job distributing the ball, as she finished with a team-high five assists.
Vande Wall said of her many rebounds, “I just felt like I was in the right position a lot of the time, and kind of got lucky. A lot of the success I had was because of the perimeter shooters were putting up a lot of good shots, and I got the opportunity to get the rebound. “