Mustangs keep Eagles from soaring

by Gunnar Davis

Coming off their first conference loss to North Polk in game-winning, buzzer-beating fashion, the PCM Mustangs boys’ basketball team looked to bounce back at Saydel on Dec. 18. PCM needed a win, and they earned one, winning 55-45.
The Eagles came into the game lacking any wins, losing all five of their previous games, compared to the 4-2 Mustangs. PCM showed their dominance in the first quarter, holding Saydel to just two points in the first eight minutes of the contest. The score heading into halftime was 29-13 in the Mustangs’ favor.
The Eagles did storm back, hitting big shots in the third quarter and ultimately scoring 19 points, putting the score in reach. But the Mustangs’ experience in the final minutes of the game was too much for Saydel.
“It was a needed a win,” junior Luke Greiner said. “The Saydel game was a needed confidence boost that led us into our break feeling good. Even with the previous loss, the pressure coming into Saydel was low, so we just played loose and executed the way we should.”
Again, senior Logan Gilman led the charge for the Mustangs, scoring 21 points and grabbing 11 boards. He also led with three steals. Greiner had 17 points and led with four assists. Junior Sheldon Speers hit two 3-pointers and had eight points overall.
The Mustangs’ next game is a big one. They travel to Nevada to play the Cubs on Tuesday, Jan. 5. A lot will be on the line as the Cubs look to contend for the conference title this year.