Mustangs too much for Raiders

by Gunnar Davis

The last time the Mustangs boys’ basketball team took on the Raiders of CMB, it was a cold January night, and PCM was looking to continue to wreak havoc against the Heart of Iowa Conference. The Raiders ended up traveling to Monroe and left with an upset victory, forcing the Mustangs to share last season’s conference title, instead of winning it outright. This time, on Dec. 13 in Baxter, PCM earned revenge, beating the Raiders 64-50.
The game couldn’t have started any better for the Mustangs. The team hit four three pointers in the first quarter, three of them from senior Logan Gilman alone. The Raiders did climb back into the game at halftime despite Gilman’s 20 points, making the score 39-31. But a stellar defensive third quarter from PCM put the game out of reach.
In the second quarter, Gilman scored his 13th point, putting him at 1,000 points in his high school career.
“It felt really good to go to CMB and get a win after losing last year,” Gilman said. “It’s a blessing to be able to score 1,000 points. I’ve had great teammates throughout my career at PCM and a great community to support me during my career.”
Gilman finished the night with 27 points and 14 total rebounds, moving him to 1,014 total points. Junior Luke Greiner had 14 points and five rebounds. Junior Mark Bruxvoort added 10 and led with six assists.
The next test as of press time is Friday, Dec. 18, at Saydel. The girls start at 6 p.m, and boys follow at 7:30.