PCM’s Last Band Concert of the Year

Band director Timarie LaFoy shares her feelings about the last band concert of the year.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2024, at seven o’clock, PCM High School is celebrating its last band concert of the school year. Band director Timarie LaFoy was asked what songs the band would be playing and Ms. LaFoy responded, “We’re playing The Capitol March, Hymn for Band, Pevensey Castle, Glorious, and then Moscow 1941 which is one we played two years ago but the seniors wanted to play it. And then we’re playing a piece called Nostalgia.”All together, the band will be performing six pieces for their last concert. Ms. LaFoy also mentioned how they have been preparing for the concert since February. Then she explains, “We break up each piece into smaller sections of music to focus on getting the notes and rhythms correct. Then, once we have a whole piece roughly learned, we start working on balance/blend of the ensemble, dynamics, and overall musicianship of each piece.” 

Back on April 10 and 30, Ms. LaFoy had two special guests come in and talk to the band students. These guests were her retired band director mentor Mr. Carl Johnson who came in on April 10, and Dr. Justin Mertz who was from the University of Nothern Iowa who came in on April 30. The two had listened to three songs a big group was going to perform and they gave suggestions. Ms. LaFoy also mentions how it is really important to have other directors come in and give feedback. 

To support the band’s last concert of the year, and to celebrate the seniors, please attend the concert. Again, that is on Tuesday, May 14, 2024.