Willis Tower, one of the tourist attractions that will be seen on the senior trip. Photo by bigbustours.com.

Senior trip in Chicago for 2023

April 23, 2023

Every year in late April, the PCM senior class embarks on their senior trip. It is always to a state that borders Iowa and is filled with sightseeing and fun activities planned for the days. This year, it is in Chicago and will take place from Tuesday, April 25 to Thursday, April 27. Senior class sponsor Mike Vittetoe shared what the activities were and how they were picked. 

“We have full days planned,” Vittetoe explained. “On Tuesday, we will go to the Navy Pier, then we will tour Wrigley Field, then Shedd Aquarium and end the day at Willis Tower. On Wednesday, we will go to Top Golf first thing in the morning. After that, we are going to the Science and Industry Museum followed by returning to the hotel. A little later, we will go to the Main Event, which is a place with all sorts of activities like swimming and video games. The next day, we will head home in the morning.” 

The activities were decided by what students have liked in the past in addition to some current students’ insight. All of the activity diversity is to make sure that there is something for everyone. 

“I tried to get to the major Chicago tourist attractions,” Vittetoe said. “Most of it is covered, but in the past, students have liked what is on this year’s list.”

Being in charge of an event like the senior trip is not without its stress. Vittetoe said that the hardest part was scheduling everything.

“The hardest part of this was getting the schedule to align,” Vittetoe said. “For example, the Wrigley Field tour was the hardest to work in because it was added late. I just want everyone to get a real taste of Chicago.” 

Back in December, the class of 2023 had 13 early graduates, which left 69 seniors eligible to go. Of the 69, 36 are going on the senior trip, but it might even be less than that. 

Some of the people who signed up might be ineligible to go because they got in trouble or earned bad grades,” Vittetoe said. 

36 out of 69 is just over half of the senior class, which leaves a lot of kids in Iowa going to school during the senior trip. A few of them shared why they are staying back. The reasons varied from being not interested to having other plans. 

“I can’t go because I am working at my dad’s shop those days,” Colton Valcore said. 

Whatever the case may be for any given student, everyone is happy with their decision. 

“I want to go because it will be fun, as it gives our class another chance to hang out and relieve any stress  before we graduate,” Paige Steenhoek said.  

That is the overall purpose of the senior trip: to have fun, enjoy a new place, and make new friends before graduation. 

“It is just one last get-together before graduation,” Vittetoe explained. “It is one of the last times to do something together as a class. Plus, you can make new friends and grow closer to your classmates outside of a school setting.”