Cross country continues to curtail times

by Logan Gilman

On the date of Sept. 21, the PCM Mustang boys’ and girls’ cross country team trotted on over to Lynnville for a meet hosted by the Lynnville-Sully Hawks. Teams in attendance were Lynnville-Sully, Pella Christian, Colfax-Mingo, Southeast Valley and your very own PCM Mustangs. The boys’ and girls’ squads both finished in third place, scoring 52 and 57, respectively.
Junior Jayci Vos finished in third place for the lady ‘Stangs with a time of 23:49. Freshman Megan Townley finished in ninth place with a time of 26:16, while fellow classmate Payton Schut came across the finish line in 13th place with a time of 26:48. Senior Morgan Novak came across in 17th after 27 minutes and 24 ticks of the clock.
For the boys’ team, they had three runners finish in the top 10. Junior Chris Ellens headlined the campaign, coming in third with a time 19:12. Senior Trent Howard finished in ninth with a 21:16 second time, and literally finishing one second after was sophomore Blake Lee with a time of 21:17.
Head Coach Eric Karr said, “This could possibly be the hardest course we run on this year. Both sides had some incredible performances. Jayci Vos and Chris Ellens led the way again, but I really want to get some recognition to freshman Megan Townley and senior Trent Howard. They both had great races.” He also added, “One thing I really want the team to take away from this is that times are not the most important thing in a cross country race. Places are the most important thing. We are about a month out from State qualifying, and I’m really happy with where we are at as a team.”