Volleyball trounced by Tigers

by Logan Gilman

The Mustang volleyball team has had its struggles lately and was looking to turn the ship around as they headed to Gilbert on Sept. 18, to take on the Tigers who had only one conference loss. Unfortunately, the Mustangs’ valiant effort fell short, as they lost in straight sets: 25-12, 25-14 and 25-16.
Junior Katie Vande Wall led the team in kills with five, followed by senior Ashley Van Gorp with four. Junior Kayla Jennings was the only player to record an assist, with 18. Van Gorp dug deep inside her soul to pull out eight digs on the night to lead the Mustangs. Senior Payton Pool registered five digs. Van Gorp also led the team in serves, going eight for eight on the night, a salty 100-percent. Junior Kaylee Townsend channeled her inner Dikembe Mutombo, as she led the team with four blocks.
The girls fell to 2-12 on the season and 1-3 in conference play. The Mustang ladies play tonight, Sept. 24, at 7 p.m. at Greene County.
Freshman Avery Stock said, “We need to work on finishing out the game. We get going, and then we just break down, we fall apart at the end. We stop moving our feet, and we stand up instead of getting low. We make mistakes, and everybody starts to get down on each other. The team needs to work on these things.”