North takes $1,000 grant, third place at State Fair

by Zach DeBruin

After three months of hard work and time, Brady North, a sophomore at PCM High sSchool, emerged third in the Iowa State Fair tractor restoration competition and won a $1,000 grant from the International Collectors Club for the local FFA district. The restoration of the family’s 1967 International 1256 started in May of this year, and North put his time toward it from May until August.
“I had no idea that I would place,” said North. “I was shocked. I was glad, though.”
With the help of his dad, Denny North, his grandfather, Dean North, and a neighbor, Brady managed to rebuild a winning piece of machinery. The International had been handed down, generation to generation, from North’s great grandfather, who bought it in the 1970s. The restored tractor is put to everyday use on the family farm, but it is still kept up and looking good.
When asked if he was going to continue tractor restoration in future years, North answered with, “Yeah, I got it all lined up for next year already. I plan on doing one every year.”
North hopes that in future restorations he has more time to put toward his project in the early stages so it doesn’t put so much stress on the last few weeks. He hopes that his painting skills improve over the years, also. North and his father were extremely happy about the outcome this year, but learning from this year’s experience will push North to work even harder, making him a serious contestant for future years.