Acting out proves good results

by Graham Davis

With high hopes and ecstatic attitudes, the PCM Speech team set off to Individual Speech Districts in Thornburg at Tri-County High School on Feb. 28. Students competed in the categories of acting, musical theatre, poetry, individual improvisation and after-dinner speaking.
To go to State in individual speech, students have to receive a Division I for their performance. Students going to State from PCM are seniors Rachel Freland with poetry and Rachel Peter with musical theatre, juniors Clay Cooper with after-dinner speaking and Karina Van Dyke with musical theatre, sophomores Graham Davis with musical theatre and Mallery Downey with poetry and freshman Sidney Metzger with improv.
“Everybody did incredibly well. They were all very dedicated to their performance and really left it all out there,” Director Samantha Pohl said. “I love seeing people find new talents they have and helping develop those talents.”
There were many new students who tried their luck at Individual Speech, including Metzger, Cooper, Freland, Downey and Van Dyke. They decided to join because of the love of going up in front of a crowd of peers and performing. Also, they love having Pohl as a director.
“My favorite part was actually performing my piece and getting done and feeling satisfied with how it went,” Van Dyke said. “Also, it’s really exciting to look at our scores and see how well our school did as a whole.”
These students will be performing in Cedar Rapids at State on Saturday, March 14.