College confusing seniors; what’s next?

by Sabrina Reed

College is coming up quickly. Many seniors are struggling to get everything prepared
for the move on with their lives. There are many tasks that need to be done before seniors can do so. The problem with this idea is that a lot of seniors are still clueless about the requirements of finding the way to college or elsewhere.

A couple of seniors were asked about what they are still confused when it comes to
college. These are their responses:
Senior Brayden Chesshire replied, “What do I want to go for?”
Over the years, a student’s likes and dislikes change. Students will jump between
several different careers. PCM seniors have taken plenty of career placement quizzes over the years to try to help them get an idea of jobs they would be successful and happy in. These tests still do not give students an accurate idea of realistic jobs for their future.

Solution; The five main ideas to consider when choosing a college major are interests,
abilities, future employability, future income potential and particular career interests. The goal is to think of jobs that would be enjoyable to do for the rest of the individual’s life. Also, take salaries into consideration. It’s important to make sure that the career will fit the individual’s lifestyle. Seniors will need to realize that choosing a major freshman year does not mean that will be the major chosen when graduation comes. It is common to get into college and change majors a handful of times. Students will normally declare their final major by the end of their sophomore year or into their junior year. The best advice to give about majors is to do research. Talking to other students about their majors will also help students to get out of a specific bubble and learn about other programs that may be of interest.

Senior Emily Keffer replied, “How and when do I sign up for classes?”
Once students get past the acceptance process early in the year, they hit a point where
there isn’t much more to do. During this time seniors start to worry about what they’re
supposed to do next.

Solution; Students must wait until they have gotten notice of their school’s orientation.
This doesn’t usually come until the middle to end of senior year. Upon getting notice of
orientation dates, it is important to schedule orientation with an adviser in the senior’s
college or department. During orientation, students will become familiar with campus
services, meet other students, and register for fall classes.

There are a few helpful resources that students can use to make this process a little
easier. The first is the high school’s guidance counselor, Brittni Horstman. Any basic
questions about getting started with college, she will be able to help with. Secondly, Google can be a best friend. It’s possible to find almost anything on the internet. More specifically, seniors may find the information they are looking for on their college’s website. Lastly, also on the college’s website, there will be emails of advisors at the college of the senior’s choosing. They are always willing to answer any questions that may come up about college life.

College can be a very confusing and stressful decision-making process. It is important
for students to take the necessary steps needed in order to be prepared for the future.
Utilizing information given will help to make the process easier for all.