Lady ‘Stangs claim victory

by Brady Fagen

On Jan. 3, the Lady ‘Stangs varsity basketball team took their very first win of the new year. They played in Jewell, home of the South Hamilton Hawks. PCM took the win from the Hawks in a triumphant victory with a final score of 58-18.

The girls impressed their followers and fans by showing how well they could play together as a team. The ladies did everything they could to score on every single one of their possessions.

“We were very agressive defensively and put in a lot of defensive effort. This created our offensive opportunity,” freshman Regan Freland said.

Freland led all scorers with 15 points. Following was senior Kayla Jennings with 13 points. Also scoring for the ‘Stangs were seniors Katie Vandewall with nine, Kaylee Townsend with eight, Rachel Stafford with six and Alexis Timmins with five. Sophomore Morgan Uhlenhopp had two points on the board, as well.

“A lot of our points were off of steals, so I utilized my defensive skills and turned them in to offensive points,” Freland said. “I worked with my teammates in order to have a successful game.”

Both the boys’ and girls’ varsity and junior varsity play in Pella this Saturday, Jan. 14 with tip-off at 1 p.m. for the varstiy girls and 2:30 p.m. for the varsity boys. The ‘Stangs will be facing the Pella Dutch.