Heartbroken: PCM loses rivalry game to CMB

by Tyler Foster

The PCM Mustangs took on rival CMB for a Friday Night Lights showdown in Baxter last Friday, Sept. 26. It was a big game for both teams, as CMB came into the game ranked ninth in Class 2A football according to the Des Moines Register’s rankings. It was the Mustangs’ third district game of the year, but they fell to 2-1 in district play and 2-3 overall with a heartbreaking 31-28 defeat.
The Mustangs elected to receive to start off the game. The offense couldn’t get much going on their first drive other than a 15-yard pass-interference penalty, which ultimately resulted in a punt. CMB marched right down to the red-zone, but PCM defense anchored down and forced a field goal to make the game 3-0 Raiders.Still, the offense struggled, and CMB scored on a big run play, making it a 10-0 game midway through the first.After a couple alternating punts, the Raiders then pulled a little trickery, running a fake reverse where the wide receiver was handed the ball from the running back and then threw a pass to the quarterback, who sneaked out of the backfield for the touchdown, making the game 17-0.
PCM was not done, though. The Mustangs marched right down the field two times before the half with senior Ronnie Marshall camping off both scores, bringing PCM within a 17-14 score going into the half.
To kickoff the second half, CMB standout senior Bryce Kemp rushed for a touchdown, putting it back to a two-possession game.
PCM junior Logan Gilman found his rhythm and connected with senior captain Ricky Reeve for a 18-yard reception, yet again creeping in on the Raider lead.
A couple of costly turnovers, a fumble and a interception returned for a touchdown really cost the Mustangs. Gilman would throw for another 12-yard touchdown, connecting with sophomore Noah Clark, but the Raiders would run out the clock on the very next possession, causing the 31-28 defeat.
Senior Ricky Reeve said,“We made our plays and so did they. The first half was rough defensively. In the second half we came out really wanting to win, but came up short. We need to improve our handling adversity better such as rain games. CMB has a good team, but I truly feel like we might be the better team.”