Mustangs too much for Trojans

Mustangs too much for Trojans

by Gunnar Davis

The Fairfield Trojans traveled into the PCM Mustangs’ gym looking for a win on Jan. 21. The Mustangs were coming off a win against a talented Roland-Story team and looked to continue their success. After a slow start, PCM came back to win the game, 55-48.
Tough defense and shots not falling for the Mustangs gave Fairfield a 10-point lead after the first quarter. PCM started to climb back into the game during the second and took the lead after a big third quarter, 37-35. The Mustangs then took control and made key free throws down the stretch.
“It was a rough first quarter,” Head Coach Fred Lorensen said. “We just kind of settled down and did a lot better job defensively the second quarter. Then we switched to man-to-man in the second half and did a good job guarding them man-to-man. They’ve got a nice team, and that was a good win for us.”
Junior Luke Greiner tied a career-high, scoring 24 points while also grabbing five rebounds.
“I tried to get in the post as much as I could,” Greiner said. “The 3-point shots weren’t falling for us. We knew if we moved the ball and took our time, had patience, things would work out for us.”
Senior Logan Gilman also added 16 points. Junior Mark Bruxvoort and freshman Andrew Van Ryswyk each had six. Van Ryswyk also had six rebounds.
The Mustangs’ next game as of press time is at North Polk on Friday, Jan. 29. The girls’ game starts at 6 p.m. and the boys’ starts at 7:30.