Wrestlers struggle with lacking lineup

Wrestlers struggle with lacking lineup

by Kinsey Phipps

On the evening of Dec. 10, PCM High School wrestlers boarded a bus and headed to their first conference triangular in Nevada, where the Mustangs wrestled the Nevada Cubs and the North Polk Comets. With numerous holes still in the varsity lineup, PCM fell to the Cubs 54-30, but the Mustangs barely squeaked by, winning 40-39 over the Comets.
There were four pins and one forfeit in the Mustangs’ favor as they battled against the Cubs. All of PCM’s pins were in the first period, the fastest being freshman Jarron Trausch in the 160-pound weight class, who pinned his adversary in 31 seconds. Following soon behind, 145-pound Junior Xavier Miller had his opponent fall in 46 seconds. 182-pound Junior Clayton Welch and 152-pound freshman Lucas Roland had their adversaries fall in 1:54 and exactly two minutes, respectively. Junior Chace Palm accepted a forfeit in the 106 weight class, as well.
“I feel that we were unfocused against Nevada, but after Coach talked to us, we straightened up and wrestled well against North Polk,” Welch said. “All the underclassmen stepped up and proved they were ready for varsity wrestling.”
Against North Polk, PCM’s 40 points consisted of five forfeits accepted, and one Comet pinned and won by major decision in one match. Roland pinned Cody Meiners of North Polk in 1:04 at the 152-pound weight class, earning six team points for PCM. Jakeb Fenton wrestled in the 120-pound weight class and won in a major decision over Comet Royal Schwienebart, winning 10-1 and scoring four points in the Mustangs’ favor.
Freshman 152-pound Wes Cummings is back in the wrestling room now, as well as junior James Maggard. Freshman 126-pound Brycen Rogers will be back after Christmas, and junior Leevi Telfer will be back in a couple weeks, as well. So be sure to see the Mustang wrestlers in full strength in the coming weeks as the season continues.